If you’re looking for a way to use up your fresh spinach, look no further than this souffle! Using our Basil Olive Oil and Sicilian Lemon Balsamic, this recipe is great for your breakfast or brunch.
Write a review
- 1 package chopped fresh spinach
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons Basil Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons Sicilian Lemon White Balsamic Vinegar
- 6 eggs, separated and room temperature
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease a 1 1/2 to 2 quart souffle dish with butter and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bring a saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil and add spinach. Cook 2-3 minutes.
- Drain spinach, pushing down with a spatula to remove juice and let cool.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan and add shallots. Cook about 3-4 minutes over medium low heat, being careful not to burn it.
- Stir in flour, salt, nutmeg, and pepper, whisking constantly.
- Gradually add in milk, whisking until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in balsamic vinegar, then stir egg yolks one at a time into milk mixture until blended.
- Add cooled spinach, and mix to incorporate.
- In a bowl with an electric mixer, beat egg whites until they hold stiff peaks.
- Fold approximately 1/4 egg whites into spinach mixture to make it easier to manage, and then gently fold in the remainder.
- Pour into prepared dish and bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until top of souffle is well puffed and lightly browned
The Olive Crush https://www.theolivecrush.com/